Creating the charitable donations revenue item
The donations you collect from guests are considered ‘revenue’ and are separate from and not considered or included in your net and gross sales. You must create a single revenue item for donations you receive. Later in the configuration, you associate this revenue item to each button you configure for allowing guests to make a donation. Do not designate the price of the item, or in this case, the amount of the donation, at the item level because the configuration at the button level determines the amount of the donation.
To create a charitable donations revenue item:
- Select Maintenance > Menu > Items.
- Click the New drop-down arrow, select Standard from the 'Type' list box, and click OK.
- Accept the system assigned number or click the ellipsis button (...) next to ‘Number’ to display the Number Assignment dialog box from which you can choose an alternate number.
- Type Donation as the short name for the item.
- Under the ‘Assignments’ group bar, select the existing generic retail category or the retail category created earlier specifically for tracking charitable donations from the ‘Sales/retail category’ drop-down list. For example, ‘Donations.’
- Select the General Settings tab.
- Under the ‘General’ group bar, select Revenue item.
- Complete the remaining options, as normal.
- Click Save and exit the Items function.