Configuring Bixolon label printers
Aloha Takeout v12.1, and later, supports the Bixolon SLP-D420 label printer. This printer is sold by NCR. The Bixolon SLP-D420 is an Ethernet printer driven by the Takeout service and will work as long as at least one ATO terminal is communicating on the network. This eliminates the reliance on a specific terminal to drive a label printer.
Bixolon SLP-420 Radiant Part Number:PR10296
Warning: A serial version of the Bixolon SLP-D420 is available. The serial version is not supported through Aloha Takeout. You must purchase and install the Ethernet version of this printer for use with Aloha Takeout.
NCR installs the latest firmware and fonts on the printer, provided the correct solution set (RSS#500531) is specified on the order; however, there are site and label stock site specific settings you need to apply at the store. The Bixolon "Ethernet Configure Setup V5.00" and "Unified Label Utility (V1.4.2).exe" utilities are available on Aloha Update http://www.radiantupdate.com for download in the Download Installation CD > Aloha Takeout > Utilities area. NCR posts updated versions as they become available.
To auto-calibrate a Bixolon label printer:
You must run the auto-calibrate routine on a new printer and whenever you change the label size. If gap size changes between different label manufacturers, you may need to run the auto-calibrate again.
- Load a label roll in the printer and turn off the printer.
- With lid open, hold down Feed/Cancel and turn on the printer. Green LEDs on the lid will alternate.
- Close the printer lid. The printer will print a message.
- Press Feed/Cancel three times. The printer will spool off several labels continuously to auto-calibrate.
- Press Feed/Cancel to test. The label roll should advance exactly one label and cut off at the gap. Without an auto-cutter, the label gap perforation should align with the printer teeth. If the printer teeth or cutter do not align properly, see "To manually adjust the gap alignment" procedure below.
To set the IP address on a Bixolon label printer:
- Disconnect the USB cable, if attached.
- Connect the Ethernet cable from the POS router to the printer, and then turn on the printer.
- Insert the Bixolon Installation CD-ROM and run Ethernet Configure Setup V5.00.
- Once installed, select Start > Program Files > BIXOLON > Configure.exe.
- Click Search to locate the printer. When found, the printer MAC address appears in the "Board list" on the left side.
- Select the MAC address of the printer and change the IP address, subnet mask, and network port to match your Aloha network.
- Press Setting to apply the new settings to your printer. A "Complete setting the board" message appears, if successful.
To manually adjust the gap alignment on a Bixolon printer:
- Connect the printer to the Aloha BOH file server via a USB cable and turn on the printer.
- Run Unified Label Utility (V1.4.2).exe.
- Select USB from 'Interface Type,' then press Connect. A "Success Open Port" message appears, if successful.
- Click User Setting Manager.
- Select the Print&Page tab.
- Click Get.
- Type the dpi value in 'dots per inch (dpi) (203 dpi = 1 inch).' (A typical range is +20 to -20).
- Click Set to apply the settings to the printer.
- Press Feed on the printer and confirm the teeth/cutter alignment.
- If necessary, repeat the steps above until the alignment is satisfactory.
- Close the User Setting Manager function and exit the utility when done.
- Disconnect the USB cable and reconnect the Ethernet cable for normal operation.