Working with the host connection
The POS system enables you to quickly determine the connection status of a device through the use of a cloud icon in the POS app. The cloud icon appears on every screen. The color of the cloud icon indicates the device connection status.
Understanding the cloud icon status
The cloud icon is always visible on a device on every screen. Depending on the connection state, the cloud icon may appear as green or red.
|Indicates all connections are active and online.
You have an Internet connection and data is syncing with the host every few minutes. You can also synchronize the data manually.
|Indicates at least one connection is unreachable.
You do not have an Internet connection. Check your Wi-Fi settings and Internet connection.
The host status indicates the ability of your POS terminal to communicate with the host and synchronize data with Back Office. This synchronization occurs at least every three minutes.
Understanding Online and Offline mode
- Online — Indicates the device is connected to the host or the server. The device can send and receive data to the specified source.
- Offline — Indicates the device is unable to connect to the host or the server. The device cannot send or receive data to the specified source.
The following provides an overview of the mode options and the functions you can perform:
Online mode — Allows you to read and edit orders and shifts created on any device in online mode.
Offline mode — Allows you to read and edit orders and shifts created on the device in offline mode, but only allows you to read orders that were created in online mode. While in the offline mode, the device does not attempt to sync data with the server. The device stays in offline mode until an employee returns the device to online mode. When working in offline mode, one of two status options appear:
- Offline Mode — The device is running in offline mode and the server is not available.
- Offline Mode, Server Reachable — The device is operating in offline mode, but the server is now available. While in ‘Offline Mode, Server Reachable,’ orders created on the device in offline mode appear as read-only to a device in online mode. With this status mode, any employee can choose to return the device to online mode and synchronize the data, or keep the device in offline mode and return it to online mode at a later time.
When a device becomes disconnected from the server
If the server status color changes to red, the device has become disconnected from the server. The following occurs:
- The system prevents an employee from editing orders or adding new orders while the device is disconnected from the server.
- The device continually seeks to reconnect to the server.
- To use the device while it is disconnected from the server, a manager, or an employee with the appropriate access level, must put the device in offline mode.
Looking for resources or help with Silver? Click here.